Monday, August 13, 2012

Duct Tape Chevron Necklace Tutorial


Chevron patterns are so popular right now, but luckily you can make your own chevron necklace with things you have at home. This would be even easier if you have colored duct tape, but if you don't, don't worry! I only had the plain grey as well, but all you need to add some color is some nail polish.

What you need:
  • duct tape
  • nail polish (and top coat optional)
  • wire or jump rings
  • chain
  • beads (optional)
Cut out a chevron shape on your duct tape. It's a good idea to make a template first and use that. Then take another piece of duct tape, stick the pattern cut one on so the sticky ends meet, and cut around. Then do it again for another chevron. You can add more layers to make them thicker if you want, it's all up to your preference. I added one more layer to each.


Next, poke holes in each of the corners of one chevron and the top two corners of the other. I just think it's easier to do the holes before you paint.


Choose a color of nail polish, and paint it on the duct tape. You'll want to do multiple coats. I ended up doing 3.


Let it dry...


I then decided to add a topcoat. You can skip this step if you want to, though. Make sure after you add it, you let everything dry completely.


Then take some jump rings or make your own with wire like I did. Connect as many between the two chevrons as it takes for it to hang right. I had a total of 4 to have a nice sized gap between the two.


Next put a jump ring through each hole on the top. I then decided to add some beads, so I added a few small ones on each side. See here how to do this with wire. 


I was using a chain from an old necklace, which was a very short one. I didn't want the necklace to hang that high, so I made some more loops from the wire before I attached the chain so it would hang lower. Problem solved!


There are so many different ways you can make this by varying different elements. You can use more or less chevrons, change the size or shape of them, or even cut out the middle. You can also change the length between the chevrons of how they hang, and use different/more beads, bigger beads, or no beads. If you make one I'd love to see how it turns out!










No comments:

Post a Comment