Friday, August 10, 2012

Wire Wrapped Heart


My latest favorite medium is wire, because there is just so much you can do with it. Here, I was inspired to create a wire wrapped heart. I used 24 gauge wire, and started by forming a doubled-up wire heart, so that it would be sturdier. I finished off by making a loop to hang it on the top. I originally intended there to only be one loop in the middle, but it got shifted as I was wrapping so I adapted :)

After cutting that off, I started by securing the wire to the heart wrapping the end around on one of the sides a couple times, and then I just started wrapping until I felt it looked right. There's no wrong way to do this, and no two will come out looking the same, so I'd love to see yours! To finish it off, I made another loop on the other top curve of the heart and then cut the excess wire.

When I'm done, I like to take my pliers and sort of press the piece together where the wire might be bulging more in places. I also like to squeeze the corners, because I think doing this makes it look sharper.

Now all I have to do is hang it on a gold chain and I have a pretty new heart pendant necklace!

No comments:

Post a Comment